Saturday, December 8, 2012

Saturday December 08

Started thinking this morning about how far I am away from home. 1875 nautical miles as the Parrot flies. I am getting homesick? I do miss my wife and family and dog. I have 11 more days to complete the task list...it is a long list. But the work must continue or the Captain will take away my 10 minute per day exercise periods.
This morning I am going to fix the port shade curtain. Rick is going to do some Captain stuff, then we will put up the wind generator, inflate and clean the dinghy
BVI to Sint Maarten
Once the Grand Cru gets to the ocean Rick will complete preparations and when his sister and brother-in-law arrive they will head off to St. Maarten. That is a trip of aabout 80 naautical miles aalmost directly upwind. Likely aa motor-saail run. Enough of thaat, It will be St. Marten from now on.
One of the coolest things at Sint Maarten is the airport beach. You must wear a hard hat as the planes almost brush you when they land.

Mary Lynn, as you can see the Port side shade curtain fits better than starboard. We should have measured each side as they are an inch or so different. But they both work ok and the Captain is happy with them.
the new shade side curtains
So far today I have done two pails of laundry...yes pails. I have a new respect for the machines that inhabit the basement at home. Even though the lights and beeping always caused me concern. I sorted my laundry then put them in the buckets with laundry detergent (no place to add fabric softener) let them soak a bit then add feet to stomp them (remember rick in the shower (that's looking better all the time)). Every few hours I add stomping. Then rinse and hang laundry all over the boat. My underwear looks homely on me, imagine what it looks like in the trailer park boat yard. You are likely asking and should, why don't you use the laundromat? A good question. I tried that but Captain Ricky says don't be crazy use buckets! Plus Christmas lady might be at the laundromat so maybe he has a point.
I am taking the Captain out to dinner tonight to the Chez Bamboo. Wait for the pictures. Another boater told us that they had consistently good food. We will give it a whirl.
A340+/- landing at St Maarten
We did get the wind generator up and the dinghy is clean. I am learning the power of what the sea and salt can do to your boat and stuff. You do your best and the sea and sun try to reduce your boat and stuff  to dust. Still fun to be here though.







Dinner at the Chez Bamboo was quite good. Rick sampled from the Tapas menu and I shared a bacon wrapped date with almonds and blue cheese...very good.
I had Louisiana shrimp in the BVI go figure and the Pumpkin Soup which was also delicious.

Chez Bamboo

The Specials


Captain Rick trying to read the menu without his spectacles

The band that played loudly til at least 5am

Cool picture...can only assume she walked into a door or a pole

Rick engaged in conversation with the twins mother and she gave her permission for a pic




1 comment: