Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thursday December 13

My day started this morning with a squall that passed through about 6:00 a.m. and Caribbean Rain. I am up and the Captain is still sleeping in his aft cabin domain. Several times in the night the boat was vibrating from some of the gusts. But the anchor held and the ladder didn't fall down.
I discovered yesterday that there are shops that have most of what you need to maintain and repair a boat. The price will be 1/3 to 1/2 higher than at home. But every now and then the prices will be the same as at home. Example; we needed some stanchion caps for the lifelines. Online price $12...price here at Wickhams $12 go figure. We needed a block for the mast and that was 1/3 higher.

More importantly I am a happier member of the scurvy crew because the Goslings has been replenished. Sufficient for the ship and a couple of bottles to try to sneak home. $11 is too good a price to not risk going to jail for.
The new chain plates were not quite ready. Nobody had realized that bolts might be required to attach them to the boat. Bolts were located in blazing Caribbean time. Then the holes in the chain plates were not quite right for the bolts. Then the bolts have to be polished. Then Rick and I gave up because the only thing more consistent than Caribbean time is push them and it can get worse. So we thanked them and left. Hopefully the chain plates arrive on the morning ferry today.
Morning nearly done no chain plates yet. Did our nearly daily walk up to the uphill hardware to get Rick a wrench. Raining off and on this morning, looks like the cloud cover breaks overnight and better through the weekend. 

Today a new first, Rick dumpster diving. Apparently I am to blame because Rick finally threw something out and we should have kept one small part. Oh well it was worth it seeing my Captain standing on the dumpster cursing in french and commenting on any interesting finds. he did not find 'our' bag. Then I thought it was over but he went back and did it again.

Sorry everyone, pictures in the morning  tired and grumpy. Two of snow white's dwarfs, thats us. No that sleepy and grumpy. You can see why I am not going to continue. Some great photos tomorrow. A square rigger anchored off our beach and a schooner sailing with her.

Marc, the Gozzard has a nice shape, I have never seen one out of the water. I keep looking to see the crew but so far I have not seen them working, they are there.

Spaghetti dinner in the cockpit tonight, the cook as usual was energetic and a good dancer. You only get 1/2 of a napkin "remember you are at sea" we have to conserve. However, as I reckon the sea is 100 meters west and we are anchored to a ladder.

Tonight I learned where the napkins come from. I was brushing my teeth when rick came from the showers and he said get napkins from the dispenser. The only dispenser in the room was the paper towel machine. Wave your hands and get a napkin. So I did my best to load up. Apparently taking more than 5 at a time is greedy and I was chastised for taking 11. That's translates to 22 meals. I am sure if there is a post office here my picture is on the wanted poster.

update: There is a poster with Fran, Marc and Louise's pictures for paper towel greed (napkins) from marinas all over the Caribbean. Go figure.

Christmas lady was there this morning but took the afternoon off. That's a first.  Part of an elaborate plan I'm sure


On the uphill trail to the Uphill Hardware store - they did not have the bulb


You do not see very many commercial gardens but here is an acre or so of Tomatoes and Peppers


Captain Rick foraging for today's dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment