| Captain Rick doing his best Vanna White |
Today was a good day of work lots of drilling holes in boats and new equipment. We tried to find a 3 5/8 hole saw. Only 40 bucks and they could have it by January. Not unlike our Rona.
I bought a coping saw and did it by hand, sweat three buckets doing that work.
A few new bug bites the alcohol rub and cocktails seem to help. Just use caution not to get the alcohols mixed up.
There was a nice local lady sitting on a chair outside at the grocery store. I have great difficulty trying to understand the creole. But my translation was 'she was looking for a man for Christmas'. Ever try to run in flip flops...blew both straps trying to get out of there. I will try to get a picture later.
Here is a sample of the Island Creole to english:
Phrases
* Wha you sayin – what's up
* Hail up – hi, hello
* Ya – here (St. Croix)
* Heh – here (St. Thomas, St. John, BVI)
* Cyan – cannot
* Safe – alright, or okay
* Wha pa' he/she/you deh? – Where is/are he/she/you?
* Whe' he/she/you deh? – Where is/are he/she/you?
* Me'en know – I don't know
* Deh deh – It is here/It is there (St. Croix)
* He/she ain deh deh – He/she isn't there (St. Croix)
* I/he/she gone to come back – I/he/she left and am/is returning shortly
* I/he/she deh ya – I/he/she am/is here (St. Croix)
* Come ya – come here (St. Croix)
* Come heh – come here (St. Thomas, St. John, BVI)
* I's – I am
* You's – you are
* Ayo – you all
* Deh – there
* Dem – them (can also be added at the end of any noun to make it plural, as in "de hass dem")
* Dat – that
* Dah – that
* Ting – thing
* Tek – take
* Mek – make
* Wha – what
* Geh – get, or have
* Geh from ya – go away (St. Croix)
* Geh from heh – go away (St. Thomas, St. John, BVI)
* Nah – no
* Ih – it, as in "ih real hot outside" (it is really hot outside)
* Ah – of, as in "I geh two ah dem" (I have two of them)
* Ah nex – another, as in "I geh ah nex one" (I have another one)
* Vex – upset (vex is also an English word, but it is used much more often in Virgin Islands Creole than in standard English)
* Tief – to steal
* Jook/Chook – to stab or poke
* Schupid – stupid
* Bus' off – to leave
* Cahn – marijuana
* Bun – to smoke, usually refers to smoking marijuana
* Wuk up – to dance (usually specific to calypso or soca music)
* Breeding – the state of being pregnant
* Breed – to impregnate
* Dealin – when a couple is not yet officially dating, but are on their way to be; the equivalent to the stateside phrase "talking"
* Mahgah/Meeguh – meager, extremely skinny
* All ah we – all of us
* Cheese and bread – a remark of surprise
* Eh eh – a remark of surprise
* Mehson – literally "my son," commonly used at the beginning or ends of sentences, akin to the American English slang use of "oh, man!"
* Deh man – use is similar to "mehson."
* Yuh chek? – asked at the end of a sentence, akin to saying "you know?"
* Chek you latah – see you later
* Uh huh pampa leh-leh – a remark made by school children when another student has gotten in trouble
* Coo-coo – the act of defecation, or feces (commonly said by children)
* Rample – to mess up, as in "Don' rample up de bed I mek up, mehson!"
* Quelbe – official music of the Virgin Islands
* Quadrille – native dance of the Virgin Islands
* Bahn ya – literally "born here," a commonly used phrase in Virgin Islands society, used by some to determine whether someone is or is not a "native Virgin Islander." For example, someone might say "my parents are from Antigua, but I'm a Virgin Islander, because I bahn ya!"
* Bam! – said after someone has made a stupid joke. Its use is not as common in recent years. (St. Croix)
* Blam! – see Bam!
* Scoboops/Scroboops – verbal embarassment (from an authoritative figure)
* Wraut up – cursed out
* Lyah – liar
* Ah good! – serves you right (St. Croix)
* Ihs good! – serves you right (St. Thomas)
* Foh true? – you serious?
* You sick de man? – are you crazy?
* Chek yah – come here,
* Watch yah! – look at this. Term of endearment used before, after, or during an argument. (St. Croix)
* Ignohrant – one who gets "vex" quick.
* Gahn een – someone who is crazy; lost their mind.
* Lime/Limin – location of a party or hangout; hanging out.
* Pickin Whelks – wearing pants with pant legs that are obviously too short.
* Disgustin – being extremely playful; harrassing
No comments:
Post a Comment