Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday March 20

Morning rituals

It is morning again and I have completed my morning chores. I had to chastise the Captain last night for failing to prepare the coffee pot and tea kettle. They are normally all loaded and all I have to do is light the fire and deal with outcomes. Yesterday everything was in chaos, I had to find things. Notwithstanding that we recently spent the day sharing the cockpit with Louise's granny panties and flimsies and the like but I had to search through the cupboards for coffee and the other stuff. My morning routine was upset and I never recovered until Euchre and we kicked their ass. All is good again.

Exit Plans

Because I am OCD about flying we may have to leave the ship on Friday and get a hotel in Charlotte Amalie. The right thing to do would be to take a ferry from here on Saturday morning and taxi to the airport just in time for our flight. Too many variables out of my control for that to happen without a meltdown.

I don't know how this has happened to me but I have to be early and at the front of the lines. I even moo on occasion. I will knock over old (older) people and children and wheel chairs to get to the front. So, I have one flaw

Yesterday's sail
Captain Rick

 Those of you who sail will know of what I am about to speak. When you get a boat on a point of sail that she likes and you accidentally or by your knowledge happen to get the boat set in her sweet spot she starts to hum.
The picture at left shows the results of getting the boat to hum on the face of the skipper. At this moment we were just off a beam reach and we were solid 7s bouncing to 8 and baby this old girl started to perform. We should have left her in her groove and kept on going perhaps to Venezuela or where ever.  Mary Lynn on the other hand prefers to be seated well aft on the aft cabin top. I think that she has an escape plan and she takes very seriously the woman and children first garbage. She was thrilled with the sail and when we occasionally were studying the electronic gadgetry she was quick to suggest that someone should steer the course.
This day ended with some rain showers and some blustery stuff but just in time for sunset things cleared away and the elements conspired and shared a spectacular sunset with us.
Well, for the rest of the day we took the women to shore and sent them off on their one hour walk. We were unable to replace them in one hour so we had to pick them back up. Apparently picking up chicks is way different when you are near 60 and with an older guy. The chicks are no longer chicks. Are they hens? Not overtly trying to be sexist, just an observation.
We have in fact booked the hotel for Friday night in Charlotte Amalie so Mary Lynn has the morning to shop for some diamonds for me. Ya right.
We were able to fix the alternator and I finished my chores in the cockpit. Nothing left on my list other than try to shake off this sense of worthlessness and or Caribbean calm that has wafted over and enveloped me. F**k thats sounds worse than the foodie stuff.
The beach here is very nice, they taxi over tourists from St. Thomas to spend the day at the beach.

 

1 comment:

  1. It is good idea to go on sail when you're retired. Away from all the problems, all the tensions, just enjoying the hot cup of coffee with your spouse in a comfortable lodge.

    Nice article, Mr Greg/ I liked reading it till the end.
    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete